A word on these collaborations...

A word on these collaborations...

As an M.A. candidate in NYU's Gallatin School I am engaged in a course entitled Collaborative Projects in the Performing Arts: Multimedia Collaboration and Interactive Internet Distributed Performance. Stay tuned here as this dancer collaborates with artists in multiple media. More on my website at www.ericafrankel.com. Send tweets to @ericafrankel.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Where was I?

In advance of our concert on December 10th, which is a meditation on September 11th ten years later, we've been asked to share a little of our own story.

where was I on 9/11?

In 2001 I was a freshman in high school in Snellville, Georgia. School started early in the morning at 7:20am, so I was already entering my third period Latin class when I first began to learn what happened. Mr. Toda had the TV on in the classroom, and as the first of us began to filter in, he looked our way and chuckled. "Can you believe this?" He gestured toward the tv glowing in the corner, "some guy just crashed his plane into the World Trade Center tower in New York City. What a dumbass!"

At that point no one knew that this was not just an unfortunate accident in the friendly skies, but I bristled at his cavalier attitude. Throughout the day we learned more of the story, but classes resumed as normal. I remember being very scared for my family in New York City, but feeling very removed from the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment